Becoming a mother is an important decision that sometimes is not an easy task. So if you’ve been trying to get pregnant for a year or so without success, it may be time to take action, starting with a visit to a reproductive specialist.
The following tips can help you realize your dream of becoming a mother:
- Don’t delay motherhood: after the age of 35 it is more difficult to become a mother, since for every year that passes you reduce your chances of getting pregnant by 5%, due to the decrease in oocyte quality and egg reserve.
- Don’t smoke: women who smoke need more medication to stimulate ovulation and are also more likely to suffer miscarriages, extrauterine gestations and other complications such as placenta previa, prematurity, sudden infant death, as well as a greater demand for assistance during breastfeeding.
- Reduce alcohol consumption: some experts say that 2 or more alcoholic drinks a day can negatively affect fertility and, of course, you should not drink any alcohol during pregnancy.
- Watch your weight: avoid foods made with refined flours, as they increase insulin levels which negatively affect ovulation. Instead, it is advisable to consume oily fish or vegetables, which are high in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids and can improve the quality of the eggs. Equally detrimental to fertility is drastic weight loss or anorexia nervosa, as ovulation may become irregular and embryo implantation may be more complicated.
- Decrease coffee intake, it is believed that more than three cups of coffee contribute negatively to female fertility.
- Relax because stress can lower gonadotropin levels and increase prolactin levels, which can trigger a lack of ovulation. In addition, women who suffer from a high level of anxiety and stress have lower pregnancy rates and an increased chance of miscarriage.
- Practice gentle sports: If you are thinking of having a child, it is advisable to lower the pace and intensity of exercise and switch to gentle sports such as walking or swimming.
- Be careful with the drugs you take: if you are taking medication or suffer from any illness, consult your doctor before trying to get pregnant because there are drugs that affect fertility and others can cause defects in the fetus and even miscarriages.
- Men should also take care of themselves to maintain good sperm quality, and for this it is recommended to avoid smoking, obesity, stress, long working hours, environmental pollution, exposure to heat, alcohol, and even the use of tight underwear.
- If in one year you do not succeed, go to a specialist: about 15% of Spanish couples of fertile age have problems conceiving a child naturally and, however, half of these infertile couples do not go to the doctor to seek a solution to their problem. Don’t be afraid and take the courage to consult a specialist, as it may be the only way to make your dream come true and become a mother.