It’s never too late to start taking care of yourself

We all would like to have a perfect body, but the reality is that the perfect body does not exist and that the value we have as a person does not depend on the number of kg, or the size we wear. This does not detract from the fact that it is necessary (and should be mandatory) that we try to be the best we can in all aspects, but for that we must first know what is the best, why and for what is the best, how we can achieve it and how long it will take. We must always be very realistic and very respectful with the truth of things in order to avoid unrealistic expectations that may cause us great frustration and physical or psychological health problems.

Much of the population is unaware of what the WHO says about the treatment of overweight and obesity and about healthy eating, so let’s review these guidelines that indicate us, as they will allow us to obtain results in a safe, healthy and long term:

  • limit energy intake from the amount of total fat and sugars;
  • increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables (minimum 5 servings per day but it has been seen that the greatest benefits are between 6 and 10 servings), as well as legumes, whole grains and nuts;
  • regular physical activity (60 minutes a day for young people and 150 minutes a week for adults).

What happens in summer?

Summer arrives and the recommendations for weight loss are the same as in winter, what changes is the type of fruits and vegetables, and the way of preparing food. Culinary techniques are simpler and food is eaten at room temperature or cold to protect us from the summer heat. Examples of this type of dishes are gazpacho or salads. All foods can be eaten in salad form: rice, pasta, legumes, fish, poultry, eggs, potatoes or nuts.

See also  The protein diet, apart from being a plagiarism, is not good for the health

It is never too late to start eating in a healthy way and to try to improve our physical condition, therefore, relax, in this we never “catch the bull”.

The importance of hydration

Especially in summer, hydration is essential, as the ambient temperature increases and with it the daily water requirements. Did you know that 2% dehydration can lead to a decrease in mental function, physical performance and tolerance to ambient temperature? The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) recommends an intake of:

  • 2.5 liters of water per day for adult men and 2 liters of water per day for adult women.
  • In young people aged 9 to 13 years, the recommended consumption is 2.1 liters/day for boys and 1.9 liters/day for girls.

According to EFSA, between 70% and 80% of daily hydration should come from different types of beverages, preferably water, while the remaining 20% to 30% is provided through solid food intake. Nature is very wise and that is why summer fruits and vegetables have a large amount of water in their composition. Therefore, by eating the daily servings of these foods recommended by scientists (minimum 3 pieces of fruit and 2 pieces of vegetables per day) we cover part of our water needs.