What is aphonia?
Aphonia is the loss of voice. It can be lost partially (hoarseness) or completely (when it sounds like a whisper), and gradually or rapidly, depending on the cause.
What are the causes of aphonia?
The main causes are:
- Diseases of the respiratory system: pharyngitis, laryngitis, cough, tonsillitis, nodules, allergies, tumors.
- Bad use of the voice: forcing the voice too much.
- Toxic or irritating products: alcohol, tobacco, vinegar, pepper.
- Manipulations of the larynx: due to some intervention or medical procedure.
- Excessive cold: due to the weather or due to drinking too cold beverages or food.
Can aphonia be prevented?
There are several measures to prevent the appearance of aphonia or to alleviate it if it appears:
- Do not smoke
- Limiting alcohol consumption
- Limit exposure to fumes and toxins
- Avoid talking too much or shouting
- Avoid whispering
- Learn techniques to project the voice correctly
What is the treatment of aphonia?
The treatment will depend on the cause of the aphonia, but the main methods to cure it:
- Resting the voice
- Staying hydrated
- Not smoking
- Cool mist humidifier
If it is due to a specific cause, the main treatments are:
- Voice therapy
- Medications to control acid reflux
- Surgery to remove tumors