The use of Plasma Rich in Growth Factors or PRFG (Plasma Rich in Growth factors) Technique is a cellular regeneration technique used in different medical specialties for tissue regeneration and recovery of the functionality of areas affected by trauma or serious diseases.
Dental specialists have benefited from the introduction of this new technology, which undoubtedly offers many advantages to both patients and professionals.
Where does the rich plasma come from?
The PRFG Technique, thanks to the extraction of proteins found in blood plasma, specifically in platelets, enhances the self-healing properties of the organism capable of repairing tissues.
Once extracted, they are encouraged to develop their capacity to rebuild tissues that have been previously destroyed. Thus, the millions of platelets contained in the blood are primarily responsible for the repair process of damaged tissues. When activated, platelets release the growth factors necessary for the self-repair and natural regeneration of the affected areas.
Therefore, the rich plasma is obtained from the patient’s own blood. The process to be followed is simple:
- A small amount of blood is drawn from the patient.
- It is centrifuged to obtain the platelet-rich plasma and discard the red series.
- Then the release of the growth factors is activated.
- We can use it in liquid form or in the form of autologous fibrin membrane.
Advantages of the PRGF technique
Plasma rich in growth factors has been shown to be especially effective in dental extractions, patients with bone loss, patients with periodontal defects and dental implants. The main beneficial effects are:
- Faster integration of the implant into the bone.
- Reduced inflammation and pain
- Considerable reduction of post-operative complications
- Improved healing and tissues to be regenerated.