Adolescent gynecology is the personalized care of young people who need to be evaluated by a gynecologist.
What are the main reasons for consultation in adolescents?
Normally, specialists in Gynecology and Obstetrics, in visits to adolescents, treat:
- Problems with menstruation, such as pain (dysmenorrhea), excessive bleeding, missed menses (amenorrhea) or irregular bleeding.
- Acne and hirsutism requiring ovarian assessment.
- Contraception, information and counseling to choose the most appropriate contraceptive method for this stage of life.
- Information and screening for sexually transmitted diseases, which is very prevalent in people under 25 years of age.
- Aesthetic problems, such as vaginal labia hypertrophy.
- Problems requiring minor interventions, such as imperforate hymen or vaginal septum.
- Vulvar and vaginal infections.
From what age is it recommended to visit the gynecologist for the first time?
There is no specific age to start regular check-ups with the gynecologist. However, it is important to visit the specialist when sexual relations begin.
Why is it important to visit the gynecologist regularly?
The gynecologist should be consulted when sexual relations begin, but also whenever there is pain or problems with menstruation, acne or hirsutism, or simply to clarify any doubts the adolescent may have about the menstrual cycle, as well as contraceptive advice.
In the first two years after menarche (first period) it is considered normal to have irregular periods.
The rhythm of the revisions will be determined by the gynecologist although, in general, it is advisable not to take more than one year between revisions in asymptomatic patients, or those who maintain sexual relations with assiduity.