40% of Spaniards do not maintain proper oral hygiene

  • 4 out of 10 Spaniards do not brush their teeth twice a day; up to 50% of the national population never use dental floss.
  • 30% of oral problems have a genetic cause and the remaining 70% are due to bad habits and practices.
  • Behind 26% of the most frequent oral problems, such as caries, gingivitis, periodontitis and halitosis, are the habits of smoking and consuming large amounts of sugars.
  • Nearly 2 million children under 12 years of age have cavities in their primary teeth. Bacteria from baby teeth can affect permanent teeth.

Oral diseases occupy the first places in the ranking of the most widespread pathologies in the world, as pointed out by different medical studies. In fact, caries is the most common ailment after colds. In Spain the data follows the global norm, and 3 out of 4 people suffer from some type of oral health problem. Lack of oral hygiene continues to be a problem today. 38% of Spaniards do not brush their teeth twice a day, the minimum frequency recommended by experts, and up to 50% of the population never use dental floss, according to the medical specialists at Top Doctors.

Taking care of the mouth and teeth is not only important to keep this area healthy, but at the same time, it has an impact on the rest of the body as it is a gateway for bacteria and infections. “Oral care is closely related to the rest of the body. Diseases such as cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease, digestive problems, diabetes and cancer are directly linked to the state of the oral cavity,” explain Dr. Gonzalo Rayo and Dr. Gonzalo Rayo of Dental Bernabeu. Borja Bernabeu.

We are what we eat. Sweets, snacks and soft drinks, the most cariogenic foods.

The dentists at Top Doctors state that behind 26% of the most frequent oral problems, such as caries, gingivitis, periodontitis and halitosis, are smoking habits and the consumption of large quantities of sugars.

See also  Spanish students create an app against cyberbullying

Sweets and candies, snacks and soft drinks, industrial juices and energy drinks are the most cariogenic foods because they contain a high percentage of sucrose “common sugar causes bacteria to produce acids and, consequently, caries. Likewise, in the case of fizzy and isotonic drinks, they also contain certain acids capable of progressively dissolving the enamel,” say the experts at the Sevillian clinic.

Eating a varied diet, with plenty of fruits, vegetables and foods without added refined sugars, as well as drinking plenty of water will be essential for proper oral health.

Oral hygiene from childhood: keys to dental care

In Spain, 1.8 million children under 12 years of age have caries in their primary teeth, according to data from the General Council of Dentists. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), dental caries is one of the most common chronic diseases among children. And, although the generic influences in the appearance of this type of problems, the truth is that, in most cases, the pathologies related to the mouth are derived from the lack of care of the area “Environmental conditions, bad practices and habits are the main causes of oral problems at any age. In fact, 70% of cases are caused by bad habits, and the remaining 30% are caused by genetic factors”. Explains Dr. Marta Serra-Serrat, dentist and odontologist and member of Top Doctors.

Even today, 34% of Spaniards do not go to the dentist’s office unless they feel some kind of acute ailment or problem. However, experts advise going annually from the first year of life onwards. “Bacteria from baby teeth can affect the permanent teeth, causing caries in these as well. Knowing how to take care of your teeth and gums during childhood is very important to prevent future problems”, say the Bernabeu Dental Clinic.

See also  Spain, at the forefront in Plastic Surgery with almost half a million interventions

Taking care of your diet, going to the dentist annually, brushing your teeth and tongue at least twice a day, using dental floss and mouthwash after brushing, and eating a small amount of sweets or sweets are the fundamental keys to oral maintenance and care that should be followed from childhood are offered by Dr. Juliana Mattozzi, a member of Top Doctors.

Doctors members of Top Doctors who have collaborated: