The treatment of chronic lymphedema disease is lifelong. However, patients drop out of treatment due to the constant care that has to be taken on a daily basis.
After obtaining optimal results for years, at the Instituto Fisiomédico we propose a protocol in the treatment of lymphedema. Intensive treatment and compression sleeve alone are not enough, lymphedema is oscillating, so we have to plan it intelligently.
The main points to take into account are:
- At the Instituto Fisiomédico we opt for the Godoy Method, the most effective lymphatic drainage, which achieves reductions of at least half in one week.
- Planning of follow-up sessions.
- Patient-therapist control of lymphedema.
- Incorporation of physical activity to life with beneficial exercises.
- BMI (body mass index) and healthy eating control.
- Vacation and travel strategy planning.
- Analysis of different types of compression (looking for the most flattering and setting the compression strategy according to habits).
- Personal coaching on what lymphedema means for a patient, assimilation and coping with the disease.
- Incorporation into educational workshops on the disease.
Thus, the treatment of lymphedema is not only lymphatic drainage, bandage or compression sleeve, but it has to have some phases of treatment to achieve its normalization. At Insistuto Fisiomédico the phases are summarized as follows:
- Intensive phase (according to results a second phase is planned).
- Follow-up control until the second intensive phase and incorporation of habits and activities that enhance the reduction of lymphedema.
- Second intensive phase; more than half of the reduction.
Once normalization is achieved, what increases is the follow-up control by the patient and the therapist, since with good control the strategy taught during treatment and the knowledge of warning signs for lymphedema control by the patient is essential, as well as open communication with the team of therapists to resolve doubts.
For more information, consult with a specialist in Physical Therapy.