Dental implantology is a sub-specialization of dentistry that is dedicated to restoring missing teeth with dental implants. It is a very effective technique, since it allows the patient to recover his or her smile.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are the best option for replacing lost teeth. They are screws, usually made of titanium, which are implanted in the bone in a surgical procedure. They are made of biocompatible materials, which means that the body does not reject them, allowing a fixed, totally esthetic and functional solution.
Dental implants are made up of the following parts:
- Implant, which is placed in the bone, is biocompatible is well tolerated by the body.
- Abutment, which is the part that acts as a connector between the implant and the prosthesis.
- Crown, which is the visible part and will perform the same functions as any real tooth.
Why do we lose teeth?
Tooth loss is quite common, and there are many factors that can influence it: poor oral hygiene, hereditary problems, poor diet, excessive intake of sugars… however, the absence of teeth can cause major damage:
- Changes in the position of teeth, which can cause pain and overload on others.
- Damage to the gums while eating.
- Severe atrophies, which make implant treatment more complex.
It is important to visit the specialist every 6 months or once a year to avoid tooth loss. Teeth should also be brushed three times a day: in the morning, after eating and before going to bed.
Implant dentistry techniques
The following techniques can be applied in dental implantology:
- Immediate load implants. During this process the prosthesis is placed the same day the implant is placed.
- Conventional load implants. The prosthesis is placed in a second intervention, after a period of osseointegration that usually lasts between 2 and 4 months.
- Late loading implants. With this technique the prosthesis is placed in a second procedure, after 6 months of healing from the first intervention.
What are the advantages of dental implants for the patient?
Dental implants bring many benefits to the patient:
- They provide the feel and appearance of a natural tooth.
- They avoid pain and inflammation, which usually occur with removable dentures.
- The patient recovers a younger appearance and a face with fewer wrinkles.
- It is a long-lasting treatment, if properly cared for.