Ocular plastic surgery is the part of ophthalmology in charge of treating and solving functional and aesthetic problems. Therefore, this specialty deals with treating the following:
- The pathologies of the eyelids, ocular orbits and tear ducts.
- Aesthetic problems associated with aging and usually manifested as bags, dark circles under the eyes, drooping eyelids, crow’s feet or swelling of the upper eyelid.
General problems corrected by ocular plastic surgery
- Obstruction of the tear ducts, causing constant tearing and possible infections.
- Abnormal eyelid movements. Also known as blepharospasm
- Lagophthalmos, i.e., the inability to close one or both eyes.
- Drooping eyelids or eyelid ptosis, which reduce the visual field and affect both functional and esthetic level.
- Eyelid alterations that may cause irritation and tearing. Ectropion and entropion.
- Eyelid tumors, benign or malignant.
- Inflammatory problems
- Aesthetic problems associated with hereditary or aging factors.
What aesthetic problems does ocular plastic surgery correct?
Specifically, and from an aesthetic point of view, ocular plastic surgery can correct four of the most important concerns that affect people with the passing of the years, due to lack of sleep or aging.
- Bags: bags appear under the eye due to an accumulation of fat and even fluid. This slight swelling under the eye can be surgically corrected by removing fat and excess skin from the lower eyelid.
Sometimes, genetics predisposes people to have bags and cause puffy eyelids, although it is recommended to avoid alcohol and tobacco consumption as well as to maintain a good level of body hydration and a good night’s rest. Apart from the hereditary factor, the passage of time and hormonal imbalances influence the appearance of bags.
The outpatient procedure helps to restore vitality to the eyes and allows to recover the usual rhythm of life after 48 hours.
- Dark circles under the eyes: they can be caused by hereditary factors, hormone problems, fluid retention, circulation problems… However, everyday factors also come into play, such as stress, fatigue, lack of sleep…
The procedure for dark circles under the eyes is performed quickly and local anesthesia is used.
- Drooping eyelids: in the case of drooping eyelids we are facing both a functional and aesthetic problem, since the sagging of the skin ages the gaze and reduces vision.
The cause is usually associated with aging, although it may be caused by problems in the eyelid muscle or by the presence of tumors.
Eyelid ptosis can be corrected with a completely outpatient procedure, and its duration does not exceed 40 minutes.
- Crow’s feet: these are the most well-known wrinkles on the face, and they surround the eyes. It is a sign of aging, so it is one of the most requested interventions.
It is a brief procedure that helps to rejuvenate the eyes.
Therefore, it can be said that ocular plastic surgery improves ocular aesthetics while correcting functional problems. In our ophthalmology clinic in Madrid we will evaluate your case individually, offering you personalized solutions for your aesthetic problems, as well as for presbyopia surgery, refractive surgery and cataract surgery.