One of the main questions we are asked by patients who want to have orthodontic treatment in Barcelona is how long they will have to wear orthodontics and the answer is not always simple as many factors are involved such as the type of malocclusion, whether or not teeth need to be extracted, what type of appliances are used in the treatment, etc.
Nowadays, orthodontics is no longer worn for 4 or 5 years as it used to be. Moreover, many adult patients tell us that they had worn orthodontics for years in their adolescent years and now come to consult us for Invisalign or other invisible orthodontic treatment, such as lingual orthodontics, due to a relapse, because they had not been wearing adequate retention for years.
Nowadays, orthodontic treatments in the hands of a good orthodontist are faster than a few years ago thanks to micro-screws, self-ligating brackets and the most modern wires. But for orthodontic treatment to go quickly and without delays, it is necessary to plan each step in the treatment and to know what is going to be done at each stage. It is also necessary for the patient to cooperate with hygiene and the placement of elastics when indicated by the orthodontist.
Duration of orthodontics in each case
A good orthodontic treatment can last between 12 months for simple cases and 30 months for more complex cases, always depending on the case:
- For a patient with a slight crowding a few months of treatment may be needed but if you present calse II (a retruded mandibular) it may take up to 24 months for its successful solution.
- Orthodontic treatment with extractions usually lasts from 18 to 24 months, with a tendency to lengthen towards 24 months. On the other hand, treatments with only upper extractions or extraction of a lower incisor are usually faster than a treatment with 4 extractions or closing of spaces due to agenesis.
- Regarding the treatment of impacted teeth, canines impacted on the palate usually last 24-30 months. While if we require a mandibular advancement appliance combined with brackets treatment is usually about 24 months and, in some cases, about 18 months.
- Invisalign treatments can also last from 12 to 24 months although it depends on the type of malocclusion it works faster than braces. Invisalign invisible lingual orthodontics incognito usually lasts as long as vestibular brackets (the outer ones).
- In the case of i7 – invisalign 7 usually lasts 2 to 3 months and is used for the correction of small movements. While the treatment with Invisalign lite usually lasts between 7 and 12 months.
The right and necessary time for the dental appliance
Patients who have been undergoing orthodontic treatment for years are constantly asking for our opinion, patients who have never been told how long their orthodontic treatment is going to last, and we always indicate the right and necessary treatment time for the correction of the problem presented by the patient. Of course there are complex cases that can last for years, but most often orthodontic treatment lasts between 12 and 24 months.