Surely you have ever heard of halitosis and you know the social discomfort that suffering from this condition generates. At the Ruiz de Gopegui Dental Clinic we are concerned about your oral health and for that reason, in this article we are going to give you the keys to avoid bad mouth odor.
How to put an end to bad breath?
Halitosis or bad breath is an unpleasant odor whose origin is usually oral. In most cases it is due to a lack of dental hygiene, but there are also situations in which bad breath is a consequence of other circumstances.
Ninety percent of the cases of halitosis have their origin and cause inside the mouth. That is to say, it is a consequence of oral pathologies, oral infections or a lack of oral hygiene, which produces that unpleasant odor when breathing through the mouth. However, there are 10% of cases in which bad breath has its origin in external causes. In these cases, it is usually due to intestinal problems or systemic diseases.
Therefore, to eliminate halitosis it is important to determine the cause of bad breath. To achieve this, it is essential to visit the dental clinic and pay attention to the advice of its specialists. At the Ruiz de Gopegui Dental Clinic they put at your disposal the human and material resources to help you get rid of bad mouth odor successfully.
Although the mouth odor given off by those who suffer from bad breath is usually perceived, even from a distance, it is also often unnoticed by those who suffer from it, although this is not usually the case. The problem lies in how difficult it is to ask for help, due to the social embarrassment that is generated.
Causes of halitosis
As we have already mentioned, the main causes of halitosis are related to dental hygiene problems:
- Poor oral hygiene: if you do not brush your teeth after every meal, bacteria will lodge in your mouth, causing bad breath.
- Gum disease: periodontal diseases, such as gingivitis and periodontitis, result in halitosis.
- Fungi: Fungi in the mouth can also be responsible for bad odor. Oral pathologies, such as oral candidiasis, can cause bad breath in sufferers.
- Cavities: Tooth decay is a consequence of dental tartar that arises due to bacteria that have not been eliminated. If there are cavities, at any level, halitosis is a common sign.
- Dental abscess: dental abscess or abscess has its origin in infections, generally bacterial. It is an accumulation of pus in various areas of the mouth. Pus generates an unpleasant odor.
- Dentures: if you wear dentures you should wash them every day, drying them perfectly after each use.
- Orthodontics: fixed orthodontic treatments allow food debris to lodge between the brackets. To prevent this from happening, the appliance must be cleaned well. A quality solution is Invisalign invisible braces.
- Xerostomia: Dry mouth is caused by a deficient production of saliva. Because of this, bacteria grow uncontrollably in the oral cavity. Hence, a symptom of xerostomia is bad breath.
- Diet: the consumption of certain foods, such as garlic or onions, is behind the milder cases of halitosis. Normally, bad mouth odor disappears in a few hours.
How to get rid of bad breath?
To put an end to halitosis, it is important to determine its origin and to know what is causing the problem. In cases where the cause is outside the oral cavity, the physician should study which treatment is the most indicated in each case. When the origin is in the mouth, the dentist should plan a procedure against halitosis.
- Optimize your oral hygiene
Brush your teeth after every meal and wait half an hour after eating. It is also advisable to use oral irrigators, dental floss and interproximal brushes to remove bacteria that lodge in interdental spaces. To finish your oral hygiene routine successfully, use a good mouthwash. This product will protect your smile from bacteria and provide freshness.
- Visit the dentist
At least once a year it is advisable to go for a dental check-up with a specialized dentist. At the Ruiz de Gopegui Dental Clinic we analyze your smile in detail, using all kinds of state-of-the-art diagnostic tests.
In these routine visits it is usual to plan professional dental cleaning or oral prophylaxis and to improve oral health it is also recommended to undergo a tartrectomy.
If you suffer from periodontal pathologies, dental curettage is the solution. Our goal is that you have perfect, beautiful, functional teeth and that bad breath is not a problem.
- Follow a healthy diet
Good breath also depends on your diet. Therefore, we encourage you to follow healthy eating habits. Stay away from foods that cause halitosis and increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. Avoid added sugars and extremely acidic foods. This will also protect tooth enamel from bacterial action.
Make an appointment at our dental clinic, our medical team will be in charge of helping you to eliminate bad breath from the root. In Ruiz de Gopegui the first visit is free. What are you waiting for? Make your appointment now.