Otolaryngology specialists state that, after undergoing tonsillectomy surgery, the patient should take certain precautions during the days following the operation.
What should the patient take into account after a tonsillectomy?
- The patient should rest at home for 3 days. During 10 days, he/she will not be able to make physical efforts.
- As for food, the patient should eat a soft and cold diet for 10 days. He/she will not be able to eat food that can open the scar of the intervention or very hot food. If the patient feels a very intense pain when eating, he/she can take an analgesic 20 minutes before each meal.
- Fever: the patient may have a few tenths of a fever in the two days following the tonsillectomy.
- Do not worry if you feel ear pain, it is normal after this operation.
- If the patient presents whitish secretions in the tonsillar area, he/she should not worry because instead of an infection, it is the scar of the intervention, which apparently looks like a very large white spot.
- Treatment with antibiotics and analgesics administered by the doctor at the time of discharge.
- Go to the emergency room if the patient presents the following alterations:
– Bleeding from the mouth or traces of blood in the saliva.
– Body temperature higher than 38º.
– Cervical rigidity.