What is dandruff?
Dandruff is a scalp disorder consisting of excessive flaking of the skin near the hair.
What are the symptoms?
The main symptoms of dandruff are:
- Appearance of plaques or scales on the scalp and white particles.
- Dirty hair
- Redness and itchiness of the scalp and hair
Causes of dandruff or why it occurs
Sometimes it can be associated with other skin problems of the scalp, such as seborrhea or psoriasis. It can appear as a manifestation of seborrheic dermatitis, which is a chronic inflammation of the skin that causes redness and scaling of the affected area. Other causes may be:
- Following a diet not rich enough in natural foods.
- Using chemical products that are too aggressive for the hair.
- Environmental factors, such as long stays in places with low humidity.
- Psychological causes, such as stress or personal distress.
Can dandruff be prevented?
Dandruff can sometimes be prevented. It is important not to mistreat the hair with aggressive products and to reduce as much as possible the use of fixing gels, waxes and hairsprays, among others. It is important to use lukewarm water when washing the hair and to brush it regularly.
What is the treatment?
The treatment of dandruff varies according to the severity of each case, but includes various cosmetic preparations aimed at treating the cause of dandruff and reducing the symptoms of itching and redness of the skin. Usually, shampoos or solutions with an antifungal active ingredient, aimed at inhibiting microbial proliferation and combined with anti-seborrheic and antipruritic substances are prescribed.