What is vaginal rejuvenation?
Vaginal rejuvenation is a set of procedures that allow you to improve the intimate area of the woman who, with the passing of the years, also undergoes changes. These treatments will restore your confidence and allow you to return to a more pleasurable sex life.
Why is it performed?
Throughout life the body changes, and so do the intimate areas. A woman’s body is subjected to pregnancy, childbirth, hormonal changes, menopause… and natural aging itself. All this causes internal and external changes in the vaginal area that affect the appearance and sensations that women experience.
Although there is no age limit for some disorders to appear, many women suffer from loss of tone in the vaginal area, urinary incontinence, vaginal dryness or discomfort during sexual intercourse, discomfort when wearing tight clothing or playing sports, itching, loss of sensitivity and even prolapse. All of these can be treated with vaginal rejuvenation techniques.
The objectives of vaginal rejuvenation procedures are to:
- Treat urinary incontinence
- Tighten and tone the vaginal canal.
- Treat vaginal dryness, which can cause discomfort during sexual intercourse.
- Attempt to prevent, or treat if necessary, any genital prolapse.
- Improve the overall appearance of the female genital tract
- Attempt to improve the patient’s sexual relations, with all of the above.
What does it consist of?
The specialist will first analyze the patient’s medical history, the symptoms she has, any pathology she suffers from and medications she takes. He will then physically examine the patient and propose possible solutions to her problem. Thus, there are several procedures:
- Labiaplasty. It is a minor surgery for the external part of the vulva where excess skin is removed from the inner or outer lip. The opposite process can also be performed, with fat grafts in the labia majora to restore their volume.
- Vaginoplasty. It is another intervention to repair the vaginal canal, reducing its diameter and restoring tone to the muscles. It can be performed surgically, with local or epidural anesthesia, where the specialist will tighten the pelvic floor muscles. It can also be performed with laser. First an anesthetic cream will be applied and then the laser will be injected into the vaginal canal in order to narrow it, a procedure that also serves to treat incontinence and vaginal dryness.
- Hyaluronic acid. It is used in moderate cases, where the doctor injects the substance along the vaginal canal to narrow it, with a very fine needle, with a multipoint technique. It is a technique that allows to give volume to the upper lips and improve the vaginal mucosa, as well as to treat vaginal dryness and increase the G-spot.
- Lipofilling. It is an intra vaginal treatment to narrow the internal canal, in cases of moderate vaginal laxity. It is a minimally invasive surgery, performed under local anesthesia, where the surgeon extracts fat from a donor area with liposuction and then injects it into the vagina. It is also a valid technique to restore the vaginal mucosa and the G-spot.
- Platelet Rich Plasma. It is a very useful procedure to treat vaginal dryness.
- Liposuction of the mons pubis and/or pubic lift. These are techniques that allow to recover the skin tone or to eliminate excess fat located in this area.
Preparation for vaginal rejuvenation
Before undergoing any vaginal rejuvenation technique it is important to look for the best professional. It is important to make sure that the doctor is registered and has good reviews. It does not hurt to consult with several specialists before choosing one or the other. Several specialists can perform vaginal rejuvenation, depending on the patient’s problems and the objective to be achieved. Thus, such treatments can be performed by specialists in Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery, Dermatology, Gynecology and Obstetrics or Aesthetic Medicine.
The specialist will recommend to each patient which procedure to follow before the intervention, depending on each case, but normally the patient should: – Stop taking any aspirin-type anti-inflammatory drugs 15 days before vaginal rejuvenation.
- Stop taking oral contraceptives one month before.
- Stop smoking one month before, and for one month after, to promote healing.
- Shave or not the area to be treated (the doctor will indicate it).
- Take the medication recommended by the specialist, to prepare for anesthesia and intervention, if necessary.
Care after the intervention
Most vaginal rejuvenation procedures are performed on an outpatient basis and do not require hospitalization. There may be some more invasive treatments that require a minimal hospital stay of one or two days.
The techniques are usually performed under local anesthesia and the postoperative period is usually painless. In case there is any pain, painkillers prescribed by the specialist can be taken.
Regarding sexual relations, care should be taken depending on the procedure performed. Thus, after a vaginoplasty or laser labiaplasty it will be necessary to wait a week to have sex. If the treatments performed are surgical, and slightly more invasive, the patient must wait 4 to 6 weeks because the vaginal canal still has to heal. On the other hand, with hyaluronic acid injections, intercourse can be maintained after a few days, always in a progressive manner.