Table of contents:
1- What is MiniFIV?
2- Why is it performed?
3- What does MiniFIV consist of?
4- How is the preparation?
5- Post-treatment care
6- Alternatives to MiniFIV
What is Mini IVFIV?
Mini IVFIV or gentle in vitro fertilization is an Assisted Reproduction treatment that is gentler than conventional in vitro fertilization. The MiniIVF technique reduces the dose of hormones by up to 60% and medication by 80%, making it a shorter treatment.
The objective is to obtain between three and five high quality oocytes in order to fertilize them in the laboratory and transfer them to the uterus. Anesthesia is required for some steps of the procedure.
The pregnancy rate of gentle IVF is very high, but it also reduces the risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome and other side effects.
Why is Mini IVF performed?
Mini IVF is indicated only for women who have a good prognosis:
- Under 35 years of age with a short history of infertility.
- Good ovarian reserve and of good quality
- Exaggerated response to ovarian stimulation in previous IVF or artificial insemination cycles.
- Risk of suffering ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.
- Women who present problems in the fallopian tubes, but not in the ovaries.
What does Mini IVF consist of?
The steps to follow are the same as in conventional IVF treatment, although the difference is in the first step:
- Controlled ovarian stimulation: the woman receives hormonal treatment using medication. It differs from conventional treatment by using less medication, starting the stimulation later and increasing the number of follicles that develop gently.
- Ovarian or follicular puncture: this is a surgical procedure that consists of extracting the mature eggs from the ovary. The process is performed by aspiration under anesthesia and sedation and lasts between 20 and 30 minutes.
- Sperm collection and preparation: consists of collecting the sample from the male and passing it through a sperm capacitation process so that the sperm are able to fertilize the egg and give rise to the embryo.
- Fertilization: consists of fusing the egg with the sperm, either by conventional IVF (by themselves) or by ICSI (microinjection).
Minifiv reduces up to
60% of the hormone dose
Preparation for MiniIVF
It is important to keep in mind three points to prepare for a MiniIVF treatment, as well as in any other IVF treatment:
- Nutrition: it is important to take folic acid and vitamin B, as they increase the chances of pregnancy. Thus, it is recommended to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, whole grains, dairy products and meat, and to avoid fast food, foods high in transgenic fats and sugars and low in vitamins and minerals.
- Exercise: being in shape gives advantages to conceive. Even so, it is not recommended to increase physical exercise, but to keep it as usual.
- Stress relief: stress can reduce the chances of successful treatment, so stress-relieving activities are recommended.
After treatment there are no specific instructions to follow and most women resume their activities and daily life the next day. However, it is important to pay attention to certain aspects.
First of all, it is recommended to avoid extreme temperatures, i.e. sauna baths, sun exposure or tanning techniques.
Secondly, it is advisable to be careful when exercising or lifting weights, being better option to practice a moderate activity such as walking.
Finally, it is not advisable to have sexual intercourse during the first week and it is essential to maintain a balanced and healthy diet.
Alternatives to Mini IVF
In the case of women under 35 years of age, this treatment can be considered to have the same success rate as a traditional IVF treatment, in addition to other advantages such as a lower risk of exaggerated stimulation, fewer side effects, less medication and, in general, less economic expense.
However, it is important for the specialist to take into account the situation of each patient interested in undergoing Assisted Reproduction treatment, since with this technique a lower number of oocytes is obtained, which could lead to a lower pregnancy rate.