What is child development?
Child development is the set of different phases of physical, psychological and social growth that occurs in human beings from birth to adulthood.
What are the symptoms of child development problems?
These problems are basically characterized by a delay in child development, that is, when the child does not have the psychological and social abilities that he/she should have according to his/her age and/or when his/her weight and height are below the average of other children of the same sex and age. The main symptoms are:
- Weight, height or head circumference (head size) below normal growth curves.
- Weight 20% below ideal weight
- Slowed or even stopped growth
- Delay in physical, mental, and social skills
Other symptoms that may occur in a child with developmental problems may include excessive crying, constipation, lethargy (excessive sleepiness) or irritability.
What are the causes of childhood developmental problems?
The causes may be related to health problems or to factors external to the child. In the first case, the main causes are:
- Organ problems.
- Genetic problems such as Down syndrome
- Injury to the brain or the central nervous system.
- Hormonal problems
- Chronic infections
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Pregnancy problems or low birth weight
- Metabolic problems
As for external factors, the main ones are:
- Relationship problems between the child and the caregiver
- Exposure to parasites, toxins or infections.
- Lack of parental knowledge of the child’s nutritional needs
- Poor eating habits
However, often the cause cannot be detected.
What is the treatment for child development problems?
The treatment varies depending on the cause of the child development problem. If it is due to some disease, the pertinent treatment will be carried out to solve the pathology that has originated it.
On the other hand, if it is due to nutritional problems, it can be treated by teaching the parents how to provide a balanced diet to the child. If the problem is more serious, the specialist will perform a treatment that basically consists of increasing the amount of calories and fluids the child ingests, correcting any lack of vitamins or minerals, and detecting and treating any other conditions.